Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Decorating on a Budget

As a single mom with 2 kids, the holidays were great, but were also a financial burden. It was hard enough to balance my budget for presents, let alone try to decorate the house.

I remember one year, I went to the store and found a great deal for a 6 foot artificial Christmas tree, only to get it home and realize that my 3 year old could almost reach the top. Made me wonder how small the person was to think that tree was 6 foot. Any ways, I had about $20 to my name for decorations and the tree cost me $10 of that. So what was I to do?

Here are a few ideas that I have implemented over the years that I would like to share with you:

  1. I know it sounds old fashion, but stringing popcorn instead of using garland is not only more cost effective, but It is something the whole family can do while watching a Christmas movie. Your kids would get a kick out of it. Note: just make sure your 3 year old does not sit by the tree and use it as a snack buffet:)
  2. Go outside with your kids and have everyone gather up pine cones. Fill your kitchen sink up with water and give the cones a quick rinse. Shake excess water off of them and place in a large bowl. While they are still damp, sprinkle them with a little cinnamon, nutmeg, or whatever fragrant spice you have lying around. Place them around the house in decorative dishes or baskets. If you want, just rest the cones on top of a bed of pine needles. This is quick, easy, fragrant, and best of all, free!
  3. I usually end up with extra Christmas cards every year, rather the ones I bought and don't use, or the ones people have sent me. I am sure you have extras as well, so instead of the ever famous ˝stick them to the wall with scotch tape ˝ routine, put them in the picture frames you have around the house. This adds an elegant touch and your friends and family would love how you display their cards.

Like I stated before, these are just a few simple ideas for cost effective decorations and you can have quality time with the kids as well.

Do you have any ideas you would like to share? Please feel free to post your suggestions as I am always looking for new tips.

No comments: